Mukumu girls students ate food contaminated with faeces- MoH reveals.
A shocking report as the ministry of health found out that Mukumu girls students ate food contaminated with fresh faeces.
He stated that a team was dispatched to Kakamega because of the alarming incident in schools.
He stated,”The team was further backed by a high-level visit of a multi-agency team led by the Cabinet Secretary for Health, and included the Principal Secretary for the State Department of Basic Education, the Governor of Kakamega County, Western Regional Commissioner and the County Health, Education and Security teams.”
The acting director general of health, Amoth , read the report yesterday, hence shedding light on why the school was suspended indefinitely.
He stated,”The Ministry wishes to inform the general public that this disease is likely to be a mixture of E. coli and Salmonella typhi which usually occurs if water sources are contaminated with these micro-organisms.”
Escherichia coli (E. coli) is a bacteria commonly found in the lower intestine of warm-blooded organisms such as human beings. It is of benefit but can be of fatal consequences for example food poisoning.
Salmonella enterica typhi is a gram-negative bacterium that is the main cause for typhoid disease.
Amoth also stated that laboratory investigations were carried out on the grains and pulses for aflatoxin but they turned negative for aflatoxicosis.
He stated,”Laboratory tests for Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers (VHFs) including Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), Marburg Virus Disease (MVD), Leptospirosis and Crimean- Congo Hemorrhagic Fever (CCHF), Dengue Fever, Rift Valley Fever (RVF) and West Nile Virus have all turned negative.”
He further stated that more tests are being conducted to ascertain and prevent any potential disease.
He stated,”The Ministry is conducting further analysis on these samples to ascertain any other potential cause of this illness, and will communicate the finding of these tests.”