The independent electoral and boundaries commission stated that Kenyan in states outside Kenya were also registered to vote in the 2022 general elections.
According to the IEBC, different parameters were used to capture the necessary information from voters in Diaspora.
1.Presence of Kenyan mission that is the embassy,high commission or a consulate as stipulated by the law of Kenya.
2. Number of registered citizens with Kenyan Missions in host countries
3.Political environment in host governments which should be conducive, stable and predicament.
4. Financial sustainability to support logistical, operational and administrative costs of carrying out such activities
The independent electoral and boundaries commission further stated that some centres for voter registration were mapped in the Diaspora.
” For the purpose of 2022 general election, the commission has mapped voter registration centres in Kenya consulates listed below;
Uganda(Kampala),Tanzania(Dar es salaam and Arusha), Rwanda( Kigali), Burundi( Bujumbura),South Africa(Pretoria), South Sudan(Juba) , United states of America( Washington DC), United Kingdom(London), United Arab Emirates(Abu dhabi and Dubai), qatar( Doha), Germany( Berlin), Canada( Ottawa).
Requirements for registration as voter residing outside Kenya
A voter must;
1. Have a valid Kenyan passport or national identity card for citizens residing within East African Countries.
2. Be of eighteen years of age and above
3. Present his or her identity document to the registration officer stationed at a designated registration centre
4. Manually fill form J being an application form for registration of Kenyan citizens residing outside Kenya.
5. Allow his or her biometric and biographic data to be taken during registration.
The voter registration in diaspora started on January 21st 2022. It important to note that the exercise is subject to Covid-19 protocols and restrictions in host countries.
The commission also stipulated that voter registration will be conducted during the official working hours for embassies and consulates.
However, the commission will make arrangements for continued voter registration exercise during weekends